Laura Hoeppner Tells Some Little White Ones on Swami Doc, But Hopes to Get Past The Lies

A commenter wrote to me about my criticism of Laura Hoeppner, who wants to do a documentary about Chet.

The commenter wrote:

I have questions for Frank.
Did he really lie to the producers about victims?
Did he really tell them that certain victims wouldn’t speak to them unless he was involved?
I don’t believe for one minute Frank is in this game to only help people. That’s a great cover, but we all know that ultimately Frank is after a juicy story that can bring him more attention.
He wants to present the story as contrived and convoluted as he can to get more followers and to game notoriety and fame.
I don’t know how anyone can read these reports and not see that.
And I regretfully can’t seem to look away.
So Frank, what’s the truth? Are you an advocate for the victims or an adversary? What is your end game here?

I replied:

I am not advocating for anyone. This story does not need contrivances or convolutions. This twisted story nobody could make up.

I will not judge who is victim, part victim, predator, part victim- part predator, and who is a consenting adult.

Too much crying ‘I am a victim,” makes a person weak. The world only sympathizes with strength and courage.

I am not law enforcement. I am not a victim advocate.

I present facts as I see them, the way I want to write them, and new facts may change my opinion tomorrow.

If my stories help someone get out, leave a bad place, stop some asshole from being an asshole. Or prevent someone from following that asshole or another asshole, I will be glad, but that is not why I do this.

I like to write and solve investigations. That is my reward.

As for Laura Hoeppner, she was dishonest. But so what? I run into dishonesty all the time.

I do not dislike Laura. I wish her well.

She came to me in October about doing a documentary on Ramtha. I told her I had a better idea.

She had never heard of Shoemaker. I pointed to my stories and explained how to make the documentary.

Laura was interested.

A few days later, she presented Myles Reis, a man she said won an Emmy for producing the second season of Leah Remini and Scientology.

Myles Reiff

I understood it was the first season that won the Emmy, and the second season bombed with Myles as producer.

The scandals were unfortunate—the suppressed episode about Danny Masterson. An attorney named Martin Singer allegedly intimidated the producers.

As long as I was a producer, no attorney would intimate me.

So I was willing to work with them.

They set up a Zoom call. It went well. They sent an agreement. I sent them a counteroffer. I wanted to have equal creative control.

They told me they would send the contract to their attorney and return with a counter to my counteroffer.

I was good with that.

They wanted to do a sizzle reel. I told them exactly how to do it to capture the story in six minutes.

It was November.

I got texts from Laura.

Nov 10

Laura Hoeppner

Laura: Update: we shared the contract with our lawyer and agents but we’d like to chat with you for more understanding before we offer our counters.

Nov 14

Laura: Hey Frank, we had our meeting with our lawyer today. We will have revisions by Thursday, fingers crossed! They’re a bit busy over there!

Frank: Sounds great Laura

Nov 18

Laura: Hi Frank, we are getting the revised contract tonight

Frank: Ok great. Look forward to hearing from you

Nov 19

Laura: Hey Frank. We still didn’t receive the revised contract [from their lawyers]. We just checked in. Hoping to have it soon and get going on everything together soon

Frank: Sounds good. I understand that things take time.

Nov 21

Laura: Hey Frank, they are still finishing up. Hopeful for tomorrow!

Frank: Sounds good.

December came. I heard nothing from Laura and Myles. But I heard from some of my sources whom I identified to Laura and Myles. Laura was contacting them to film.

While Laura asked me to wait as they “finished up” the contract, they were stalling me. They wanted to make the documentary without me.

I texted Laura and asked why she told me to wait, then went behind my back?

Laura: We sought counsel on how to make a show under parameters you were asking for and found it was not possible. Myles and I have been doing this a long time and we felt it wasn’t possible to meet the demands.

Frank: Why didn’t you let me know out of courtesy?

It seemed obvious they could not let me know. They were worried I might make the documentary without them.

They needed to get the jump. That’s business in their world.

They say a journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step. And if the first step is dishonest, where will the journey end?

Laura and Myles got into this because of me and chose deception to advance without me .

That is their decision.

The man they wish to make the documentary about made the same choice about honesty 50 years ago.

I want to advise readers on how to sign a good release and make an informed decision.

I do not care if people decide to sign a release with them and get burned, as long as they are informed.

I do not care if Hoeppner and Reis do the documentary.

By the time this documentary airs, if it ever does, it will be a year and a half or two years from now.

By that time, I will have done my work. The authorities will arrest Shoemaker. Or he will flee the country, or it may turn out there was abuse but no provable crimes.

Long before there is a documentary, I will finish my work.

And no one can take from me that I was the one who brought this story out, pulled it out of 20 years of dust and hiding. And put the heat on it and got the job done. And did it without fear of Chet or his minions. And others made documentaries and came out of hiding when it was safe to do so after I cut the path.

About the author

Frank Parlato

0 0 votes
Article Rating

Please leave a comment: Your opinion is important to us!

Notify of
guest

36 Comments
Newest
Oldest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
Shortsighted Hoeppner
Shortsighted Hoeppner
11 months ago

Laura, laura, laura… what a shitty dishonest way of doing business. Gotta love how she doesn’t even have the balls to call and be direct. So full of shit. Not the kind of person you want handling victims of abuse and trauma.

11 months ago

Keith’s release date from prison is in 97 years, 6 months, 11 days (including end date).

ShadowState1958
ShadowState1958

Paul Pelosi’s Attacker Was More Likely a Sex Slave Breaking Free

StevenJ
StevenJ
11 months ago

Shadow, have you bought your full set of Trump digital action pictures yet? Hurry! They might sell out quickly I heard. Don’t worry, it’s not a grift and/or a scam…..

ShadowState1958
ShadowState1958

comment image

erma gerrd
erma gerrd
11 months ago

you’re far too patient, frank.

11 months ago

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, things are still moving right along. We are stealth.

11 months ago

we dont need no stinking sizzle.

11 months ago

It sucks that all this bullshit has surfaced. I’m going back to bed.,

11 months ago

Damn! That is shady AF. Not even a counter to your counter? Just waste your time and run off with the sources you connected them with? Crappy with a capital C.

11 months ago

Dan provided drugs to the ashram. Then was cutout as the middleman- discarded as Chet does with many people.

And now Dan discards those who helped him and Laura does the same. No ethics just like Chet. Head to Gold Beach and stay there.

11 months ago

“And others made documentaries and came out of hiding when it was safe to do so after I cut the path”

This is how it’s always been – how many people have claimed they “broke” the nxivm story? How many self-promoting heroes are there?

Yet the evidence is clear- without Franks stories, nxivm would still be recruiting and branding women full force.

The truth will ultimately come ti light.

Laura the deceptor
Laura the deceptor
11 months ago

See, she’s the type that should get drugged and butt fucked by swami chockeananda. What an asshole

11 months ago

Wow, this is an extremely disturbing comment

Terrible
Terrible
Reply to  Anonymous

What’s most disturbing is Frank chose to publish it which makes me wonder if he wrote it.

And you wonder why rape victims might be more comfortable with a woman or really anyone capable of the smallest measure of sensitivity.

Reply to  Terrible

Of course he wrote this. He should publish the screen shots. He is a liar.

Reply to  Anonymous

You are obviously new here and imagine your attempts to grift Frank with your sub-par imaginative slurs, will work?

Truth hurts? – take a ticket and go to the end of the butt-hurt queue.

Reply to  Anonymous

Couldn’t be more wrong. He’d be sued by Laura Hoeppner if he was quoting her and she didn’t do or say any of it.

He’s telling the truth. Do you have some connection with Laura that makes you doubt Frank’s word? You’ll see. You’re entirely wrong.

11 months ago

I for one am grateful for your dedication and hard work and agree with you Frank!

Reply to  Anonymous

i second that, Frank. Anonymously, of course.

11 months ago

What about The Vow producers?

Reply to  Anonymous

The Vow producer hit on the female victims. Disgusting.

Ask why Kristin Keeffe didn’t participate in The Vow. How could they fail to secure one of the key people within NXIVM?

The last person victims need is Laura!
The last person victims need is Laura!
11 months ago

Laura is as deep as a Dixie cup. She calls because she’s invested in exposing the Ramtha cult, but when a story of months of hard work is presented to her by Frank— as something to pursue together- to join talents and give victims the best possible outcome, Laura was giddy and calling constantly. But once she has what she needs, the mutual respect is out the window.

Laura lies, evades and goes behind Franks back to cut him out of the process.

She needed Frank- took countless hours – free of charge – as Frank provided her with essential information, and then stole it all and went on her way.

No thanks. No appreciation. No ethical standards. No direct communication but instead, a sneaky, underhanded move to exploit people for her sizzle reel.

She’s a user. Total user with zero sensitivity chip.

And what about Ramtha? That’s how committed Laura is to a story. Take what she needs with the least amount of effort or diligence as possible.

Notice, she’s not in demand and she’s a one- seasoner. Once they see how she operates, she’s not asked back.

11 months ago

It’s amazing how idiots that Frank helped are so short sighted in their quest to expose shoemaker that they would be okay with cutting out the one person who took the time- devoted countless hours to hear their experiences, perceptions and trauma__ when they had no one.

His stories led to public exposure and he was the one that promoted their story when Laura was calling about another cult altogether.

And now there is no loyalty or concern at all for the investigator that asked for nothing to see Justice served and victims protected.

I know the true victims will wait for Parlato. The lack of respect and loyalty is troubling. But maybe that’s why you fell prey to shoemaker to begin with.

Weak, disloyal, clueless people who will be led astray by unscrupulous people— with empty promises — people who have and will exploit.

So stupid- do you not see the parallel?

Reply to  Anonymous

Maybe Chet bought them

Reply to  Anonymous

There you go victim blaming and shaming again. “Idiots” Frank has helped? You mean the victims?
Fuck off

Reply to  Anonymous

I think he means these film makers

Reply to  Anonymous

I meant the filmmakers and the self-claim victims. And yes, they need to be held accountable for their own conduct. If they were victims of Swami, why would they then be disloyal to the one person who has devoted countless hours to listening, investigating and writing stories to bring this to the media’s attention? Why would they agree to cut out the person whom they trusted and who PROMOTED their story to help take down Swami Chet?

Laura was asking for Frank’s help on an entirely different cult and Frank handed her everything. They were going to work as a team as both have different strengths. But Laura went around that in the most underhanded way.

So yes, I hold the “victims” accountable, and wonder why they are okay with Laura’s conduct when clearly it was Frank who pulled everything together. No victim shaming. Are they never accountable for their decisions and choices?

11 months ago

It seems like a dirty game with a lot of backstabbers. I don’t know what professional ethics there are in Hollywood surrounding this kind of thing and stealing other people’s stories. Seems shady to me. It’s a pity something couldn’t be worked out since Frank is the only one who gave a damn about what happened to all of us and gave us a platform and a voice. What I can tell you, for sure, is this. Few victims (and I mean the ones in this story that everyone wants to know about, his “girls”) who still are or were debilitatingly traumatized by that man–and who know all his dirty secrets–will exposè themselves all over again to some shady documentary filmmakers so the public can all have a good old laugh at our expense and tell us that we all deserved it for being so stupid. And, yes, I use the word victim. Not because we are weak, because I assure you, what we’ve been through is nothing short of absolute hell. We are his victims because he victimized us, because of *his* actions that exploited and tortured us. And we are also strong and courageous for living it, and surviving it. But my point is, we won’t be laying ourselves bare for the sake of some titillating exposé and most certainly if we don’t feel safe and there aren’t protections in place for all of us. I speak for myself, but I know it is true of others, we’ve all had enough of being manipulated, lied to, and our good intentions used against us. It’s not fucking happening again.

Reply to  Anonymous

Here! Here! Do not get Played

About the Author

Frank Parlato is an investigative journalist.

His work has been cited in hundreds of news outlets, like The New York Times, The Daily Mail, VICE News, CBS News, Fox News, New York Post, New York Daily News, Oxygen, Rolling Stone, People Magazine, The Sun, The Times of London, CBS Inside Edition, among many others in all five continents.

His work to expose and take down NXIVM is featured in books like “Captive” by Catherine Oxenberg, “Scarred” by Sarah Edmonson, “The Program” by Toni Natalie, and “NXIVM. La Secta Que Sedujo al Poder en México” by Juan Alberto Vasquez.

Parlato has been prominently featured on HBO’s docuseries “The Vow” and was the lead investigator and coordinating producer for Investigation Discovery’s “The Lost Women of NXIVM.” Parlato was also credited in the Starz docuseries "Seduced" for saving 'slave' women from being branded and escaping the sex-slave cult known as DOS.

Additionally, Parlato’s coverage of the group OneTaste, starting in 2018, helped spark an FBI investigation, which led to indictments of two of its leaders in 2023.

Parlato appeared on the Nancy Grace Show, Beyond the Headlines with Gretchen Carlson, Dr. Oz, American Greed, Dateline NBC, and NBC Nightly News with Lester Holt, where Parlato conducted the first-ever interview with Keith Raniere after his arrest. This was ironic, as many credit Parlato as one of the primary architects of his arrest and the cratering of the cult he founded.

Parlato is a consulting producer and appears in TNT's The Heiress and the Sex Cult, which premiered on May 22, 2022. Most recently, he consulted and appeared on Tubi's "Branded and Brainwashed: Inside NXIVM," which aired January, 2023.

IMDb — Frank Parlato

Contact Frank with tips or for help.
Phone / Text: (305) 783-7083